Friday, February 15, 2013

A Romantic Valentine's Day Brunch for... three?

Derrald struck it lucky this year and got to celebrate this Valentine's Day with not just one but TWO girls! As we adjust to the wonderful world of parenthood we have realised we need to adjust more than our schedules, we need to adjust our mindset as well. The "romantic dinner for two" was simply not in the cards this V-day so we took advantage of our daughter's sweet morning disposition (as opposed to her nightly freakout one) and headed to Sai Kung for a "delicious brunch for three".

We sat al fresco and were even serenaded... by this lot:

If I were an evil spirit I'd be scared off by this guy!
For those of you who have never experienced a dragon dance before, imagine taking all the pots and pans in your kitchen and hitting them together to create a complete raucous. The dragon goes store to store where the shop owners give money and then the dragon eats some cabbage and scares away the evil spirits. Not quite a "string quartet" but whatever. 

I worried that Madeline would be disturbed by the crazy noise but a quick peak in her stroller confirmed she can sleep through anything when she puts her mind to it.

 
I covered her ears with my pashmina in an attempt to protect her delicate hearing... worked like a charm.

Later, after all the excitement had passed, she woke and joined us. We had a lovely day (despite the rain) and she rewarded us that evening by sleeping her longest night yet - from 8pm till 6:30am!! Of course, I didn't sleep that long. I had to keep getting up to check on her like a nervous nelly. Can't wait to start making these nights a habit!

My two loves (not including chocolate):

 
Looking pretty in pink (Madeline, not Derrald)

5 comments:

  1. Maddy and I love being your 16th and 17th favorite things. (Insert 15 chocolately health nightmares here.)

    I can't believe you didn't mention the two hour "Candy Crush" fest that we had to capstone the night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, the Sai Kung Dragon Dance. This is a Valentine's Day tradition that has not caught on as much as it should have. -- Maddy is an absolute doll!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That picture of her in the stroller is gorgeous! What a peaceful little angel. (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe how big she is! What a stunningly beautiful baby... And I know what you're talking about with the Dragon Dance. We get them at New Year in Hawaii. My favorite is still Beijing opera though, because it pairs the banging of the pots and pans with a screamer for a truly unforgettable experience. Miss you guys! Happy Valentines Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got teary eyed seeing that last photo of Derrald and Maddy.

    ReplyDelete